In the last few weeks, the world has been in a state of flux because of COVID-19. The disease – now a pandemic – has been affecting every one of us.
As a company on which millions of people in India rely on for their grocery and household essentials, we are taking this seriously and are working hard to ensure a steady supply.
We want to make a better life affordable for all our customers, every day – even during times like these.
At Grofers, we understand this situation comes with a lot of trust on your part and an added responsibility to be transparent on our part.
We want to let you know that we will continue to maintain honest pricing and high quality along with around the clock effort to ensure there is an availability of all the things you need.
COVID-19 has introduced uncertainty and we want to help you deal with it. We have also noticed that there is an increased sense of worry – especially around the availability of your everyday items on Grofers and the safety of your deliveries.
Here are some things you need to know:
#1 Grofers will give you transparency around stock levels:
When you are aware of the availability of an item, you are able to plan better. This also gives you more control over what you can buy in the Grofers app in any instance. So starting today, we are rolling out a feature that will help you understand the stock levels for a particular product. You will also be able to filter products in the app based on their stock levels.
This will help you assess the need and plan better.
Note: Products with high availability might get stocked out but will reappear soon – it is just stock movement. Also, the feature is being rolled out in phases.
#2 We have mandated stringent checks for safety on your order:
Every order you place has two touchpoints. The first is at our warehousing facilities and the second is through our local distribution partners (typically small stores). Here’s how we are ensuring that every order you place is safe:
- At our facilities, we have implemented stringent screening criteria – including temperature checks – to make sure all our employees are healthy.
- We are undertaking all the precautionary measures to maintain strong hygiene as advised by the WHO. This includes using sanitizers and washing our hands frequently.
- We are directing anyone who isn’t feeling well to quarantine and practice social distancing for a period of 14-days.
- We have suspended travel between locations and offices, so each of our 20+ units across the country can stay isolated and clear of the virus.
- With our local store partners, we are taking precautions to prevent the inter-mingling of our supply chain with anything related to offline footfalls in stores. This means, our supplies are now passing through separate areas, manned by different personnel than those that work in crowds in-store.
- All delivery personnel are being monitored and trained on the handling of sealed crates.
- 60% of our partners have already been provided material for disinfecting, hand sanitizers for individual use, masks and detailed training for conduct. We hope to cover the remaining 40% this week.
- The crates that carry your orders are being washed and disinfected after every usage. This has meant that we had to press our entire inventory of crates into service, so you as a user might see some bright colors outside of our normal blue and orange.
#3 Get more information on the partner who delivers your order:
To create a more transparent communication between you and your delivery personnel, we are introducing “Last temperature check”.
What does this mean? It means that you’ll receive details of the last monitored temperature of our delivery personnel when they picked your products from a partner store. We are already maintaining these checks on the back end but want to make sure all our customers have visibility into this as well.
This is also to ensure you have all the information you need – including the health status of the delivery personnel – so that you can order from Grofers without worry.
An update on the delivery times and regular promotions
Due to a surge in the volume of orders, you’d experience a slightly stretched delivery time. While we understand that this isn’t ideal, it helps us take all the precautionary measures on your orders and provide access to everyone irrespective of any uncertainty around COVID-19.
Some regular promos or sale events we run at different times of the month might not be available as we work on making sure our sellers have enough items and regular supplies.
We thank you for being patient and for keeping everyone’s safety in mind.
These are some of the immediate steps we are taking to mitigate the risk of COVID-19. However, at this juncture, we also request your collective effort in helping us ensure all our customers get a safety net and access to necessary groceries at low and honest prices.
Here are three simple ways you can help to make sure that grocery shopping is affordable, safe, and accessible to everyone during COVID-19: avoid hoarding supplies, plan ahead, and avoid cash.
Your health and that of everyone who makes your order possible are of utmost importance to us. Please share and spread the word amongst your friends, family, and community.
If there are any concerns, please do not hesitate to reach out to us via the in-app chat.
Stay safe and don’t forget to wash your hands!