Our culture has been perhaps the most important ingredient of our success. We are driven by our people, who are passionate about solving real-world problems, are invested in each other, are inherently curious and aren't afraid to achieve the impossible.
We have some of the best people at grofers, but we are also ashamed to admit that only 16% of our workforce is women. We have built the organisation on a culture of meritocracy, but the truth is, these same policies and processes may not be giving some of our people the best chance to thrive. We stand for cognitive diversity, so we can do our best work.
We understand that we have to change now to make sure all our people grow with us. We still have a long way to go, but here are some steps we’ve taken towards building a more supportive, inclusive and diverse grofers:
1. Sharing wealth: We want our people to think like owners of the organisation and hence allocate ESOPs to employees, so that they can share in the wealth and value they create for the organisation. Over 24% of our employees already have ESOPs in the company, and we will continue to induct more builders into this group.
2. At-will employment: We no longer have probation or notice periods at grofers. We have faith in our people and want to build with mutual respect, rather than rely heavily on policies. The policies should not push people to do something that they wouldn't want to do in absence of them.
3. Period leave: Women and transgender people at grofers can avail up to 10 days of period leave in a year.
4. Surrogacy, adoption and paternity leave: We offer 26 weeks of paid maternity leave, and 2 weeks of paid paternity leaves to parents of newborns, including in cases of surrogacy and adoption, and for non-birthing same-sex partners.
5. Childcare endowment: New parents are given an endowment of ₹50,000 per child as they welcome their child into the world.
Outside of this, we now index heavily on people’s ask for growth and are actively investing in helping them learn more problem-solving and leadership skills to help them evolve along the way.
Our culture is our moat and our right to play and win. I will ensure these steps keep compounding as we work towards building world-class customer delight, through a culture where everybody belongs.
If you would like to be a part of our journey, check out our careers page: https://grofers.com/careers/